shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out
Bracknell Town 0 - 3 Marske United
FA Vase Quarter Final24 Feb 2018 - 15:00Larges Lane


Marske United ensured the recent Northern dominance continued in the Buildbase FA Vase as they advanced into the semi-finals.

The three goal winning margin did not reflect the closeness of the game for large parts – especially in the congested midfield area – but the visitors struck at crucial  times netting the opener in the last minute before the interval and they added the second with twenty minutes remaining at a stage of the match where that next goal was vital. A third goal late on with the hosts pushing for a way back put the gloss and proved they were right right to be labelled favourites to win the competition.

The North Yorkshire side started very brightly despite their unfamiliarity with the Robins 3G pitch and they forced an early save with goalkeeper Chris Grace forced to tip over in only the second minute.

As with the previous round, an early injury to a central defender hampered the hosts who were forced to shuffle their pack with Jesse Wilson replaced by the attacking Kensley Maloney after six minutes.

It wasn’t TJ Bohane’s day with the otherwise prolific Bracknell striker firing wide right after a hanging cross landed at his feet. He then had a free header from a free-kick but could only pick out goalkeeper Robert Dean.

Craig Gott had a 36th minute sighter as he fired at Grace from long range but the keeper could do nothing a minute before the break after Jamie McClurg had conceded possession with Curtis Round setting up Glen Butterworth whose twenty yard effort flew in.

Buoyed by the opener, Marske were the better side in the second half but the home side continued to battle away and another great chance went begging when Joe Gater climbed highest to meet a free-kick but he headed over with a whole lot of the goal to aim at.

Round hooked wide right before his front partner Daniel Earl raced clear one-on-one but was denied by a tremendous Grace save with his legs although both Round and Earl would get on the score-sheet.

The second goal came in the seventieth minute as Chay Liddle’s quick free-kick caught the hosts off guard and allowed Round to run in and finish well whilst unmarked.

Earl dummied after Gater had slipped and Gott struck the post but Marske did add a third goal in the 88th minute as Earl got behind the defence and coolly finished to cap a fine and deserved victory albeit with a flattering scoreline.

Bracknell Town 0

Marske United 3

Butterworth 45

Round 70

Earl 88

HT: 0-1

Match Rating: 3/5

Star Man: Curtis Round (Marske United)

Referee: Chris O’Donnell

Attendance: 1142

Bracknell Town (4-5-1): Grace 6, Hancock 7, Parsons 6 (Bennett 83, 6), Short 6 (Cornell 64, 6), Wilson n/a (Maloney 6, 6), Davies 8, Grant 6, McClurg 6, Gater, 7, Bohane, 6, Bowerman, 6. Subs not used: Senussi, Herbert.

Marske United (4-4-2): Dean 7, Rowbotham 7, O’Sullivan 7, Butterworth 7, Carling 7, Wheatley 8, Liddle 7, Gott 8, Earl 8, Round 9, Stephenson 8 (Roberts 58, 7). Subs not used: Bulmer, Wood, Brockbank, McDonald.

Shots on 6/8

Shots off 6/6

Corners 4/4

Offside 0/2

Fouls 10/15

Yellow 2/3

Red 0/0

Report courtesy of Darrell Freeland